Monday, February 4, 2013

A bathroom disaster

Like I've already mentioned, I'm a primary teacher in our church ward for the 4-5 yrs olds.
I LOVE IT. 
Though, even after only 3 weeks I'm finding it definitely has its ups n' downs. 
Like yesterday for instance...


I have a big class. Nine kids, consisting of a pair of twin girls and some very rowdy young boys. The twins are adorable but they never want to listen, cant sit still and they are always trying to escape the room. We have teachers at all four corners of the room and some by the door to stop these girls from running.
Last week I ran around, and around the building after them. NEVER. AGAIN.
Let's just all be grateful I decided on no heels that day!

So yesterday one of the twins "needed to go potty." Psh, "yeah right", I thought.
After asking a 2nd time I thought maybe she really did so I took her hand and we walked to the little girls room.
(At one point she told me I did't have to hold her hand because, "she wouldn't run away") Like I said, NEVER. AGAIN.

So, I don't know the bathroom rules or anything so I let the girl go in the stall alone. 
Mistake numero uno, mi amigos.
She locks the door, and starts dancing around. 
I tell her to sit down and go potty because we have to go back. After numerous times of telling her this, after 15 mins of her dancing around, making cat and dog noises and eating toilet paper (seriously) and me threatening to get her parents and telling them she is misbehaving I get NOTHING. She is still challenging me and not listening. So what did I do?
Well, PICTURE THIS:

I said, "VIV, PULL UP YOUR PANTS, UNLOCK THE DOOR AND COME OUT OR I'M COMING IN AND GETTING YOU!"
To which she replied with a little smirk, " You can't. It's still locked."
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED LITTLE TOT.

I got on the floor, climbed under the door, grabbed her pants and put them back on, took her hand, unlocked the door and walked out. Her face looked completely TERRIFIED. 
She wasn't giving up that easily though.
I proceeded to drag this girl across the floor because she would not stand up and walk. I just kept thinking about how my adorable outfit I was wearing was now covered in  bathroom germs and I wanted to cry.
Of course, right then in all my glory, my husband walks up behind me with Haddie and says, 

-"Babe, what are you doing?"
-"Don't talk to me right now I'm dealing with a bathroom mania situation!"-me

End of story.
 Funny right?
  
Yea, maybe for you.

1 comment:

  1. Danica! I'm so sorry to hear about that fiasco! I am a new Nursery teacher in my ward, and can I say, I now am thankful for the (short) attention span that my middle schoolers have...teaching toddlers is a lot harder than trying to feed history to pre-teens!

    ReplyDelete