Sunday, August 5, 2012

Life's surprises

We have been in our new house for roughly two weeks now! We got the majority of our things moved around, put in their places and we are almost all unpacked. This last week we were both so busy both working full time that we didn't have much time to finish the rest. 
So Emmett decided to get it all done on Saturday while I was at work. He wanted everything left to be unpacked and the place to be super clean. Well, that was his plan and plans don't always work out how we want...

I went to work early in the morning and was to be home around 5:30 that night. Then we had plans to go to the Orem Owls game with my brother in law and his wife and call it a night. At work that day I left about an hr and  half early because I was feeling really tired, hot, my feet hurt and my growing uterus putting pressure on my other insides makes it hard to breath these days. Emmett was taking days to answer text messages so I didn't bother telling him I was coming home early so I would just surprise him. Welllll....surprise was on me. 

I pull up to the front of the house and see the car belonging to my sister in law, Andrea, and two big trucks. Eh, no big deal, Emmett has company, no wonder he wasn't answering texts very fast. Then I continue around the back of the house to smell something kind of really yucky. Then I see pieces of carpet in the driveway, then wet towels all over the back yard. I continue down the stairs to the basement. There are pieces of our nice bookshelves at the base of the stairs. The door is open. I walk in annnnnd.....DUN DUN DUN!!!...I see Andrea sitting in the kitchen next to our other bookshelves and other random things that don't belong in our kitchen, I see our land lady and a couple large men all in my house. They all stopped in their tracks when they saw me and looked super nervous. I immediately knew something was up. Emmett greeted me looking concerned and then I saw the reason why.


 THIS WOULD BE OUR LIVING ROOM CARPET. PULLED UP, SOAKING WET WITH HUGE FANS BLOWING ON IT SMELLING TERRIBLE.


Apparently they were all hoping to have everything with the carpets done before the wife got home and  she'd never have to see or hear about the huge mess. Again, things don't always go as planned. 

Our furnace along with water heater and all that jazz is located in a huge closet between our bedroom and the living room. I'd been saying for a few days that the house smelled funny, especially the carpets but we never noticed anything wet. What happened was our water softener hose sprung a minor leak and over the course of who knows how long it had been soaking into our carpets till it eventually completely busted. Leaving half our living room soaked and our bedroom. WONDERFUL. 

Here's part of the bedroom.

A carpet guy and an electrician came over to inspect everything and they say the carpets are almost all dry, there is no black mildew and they don't need replacing. But we will have people in and out this week and coming weekend to check on it all and get us new water heaters. 
Oh the joys of life's surprises!


No comments:

Post a Comment