Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chicken Dinner Especial

Tired from work or school ALL day?
Just need a break?
But still have a family of mouths to feed?

Well here is your answer to those problems! 

I decided to whip up something for dinner tonight that would be quick and easy. The oven did most the cooking and that's the way I like it. 
In our home we almost NEVER use a recipe. I just think up the ingredients I have/want and figure out what I can concoct from it all. As far as measurements go, ehh well that's a guessing game as well. 
But let me tell ya I have yet to find something that I absolutely could not swallow or finish and my husband is my biggest critic when it comes to food. If he eats it, I know it was ok, if he has 2 servings I know he liked it and if he has more than 2 servings and cant seem to do anything but lay down after the meal I know he LOVED it :)
This would be a loved meal.

Let's get back on topic here. Ok so tonight I wanted something simple, easy and delish and luckily got all three! Thought I'd share it with you, you lucky dog ;)
Guys, Imma be honest with you.  NEVER have I made chicken as tender as I did this one. It literally would melt in my mouth. Ok just saying! Onward!

I didn't plan on blogging about this venture so I dont have any pictures of the process. But I have an aftermath one that is poorly taken from my horrible camera phone. Enjoy!

Here's what you'll need: 
(This recipe was almost overfilling our 9x13 in casserole dish.)

2 cups cooked rice
3 small chicken breasts thawed
Half an onion chopped
3 SMALL jalepenos finely chopped
Half a small bag of frozen broccoli
2 cans cream of chicken soup (I used 10.5 oz)
1 packet onion soup mix
1/2 cup italian bread crumbs

PREP:
Set oven to 350 degrees.
First I cooked the rice. 
Mix the bread crumbs and onion soup mix in a small bowl and set aside.
While the rice was cooking I began slicing and dicing. I cut up the chicken into small strips and cubes.
I chopped the onion and the jalepenos.
Place the chicken in the crumby mixture and make sure to get all sides completely covered. 

Look at this like a lasagna. Layer on layer..
I poured in some of the chicken juice at the bottom of the dish for extra moisture then I added the rice to cover the bottom.
Next, pour out the cream of chicken soup and spread evenly over the rice. 
Add the chicken on top.
Pour over the broccoli, onion and peppers. 
I sprinkled the top with maybe a tsp of garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
(This dish was spicy! We like it that way but if you don't I would leave out the cayenne pepper OR the jalepenos)
I covered it with tin foil and baked it for exactly an hour. No shorter, no longer.

This all took me maybe 15 mins of prep time and then the hour of having the oven do all the cooking. I pretty much sat my bum on the couch thinking of all the cleaning I should have been getting done while it baked. 
Can I get an "Ovens amen!"?
(Ovens amen? Yep, it's passed my bed time)






1 comment:

  1. My husband is the same as Emmett, and since he loves to cook, too, I always have him rate my cooking on a scale of 10. Most things are a 7-8. I had one 4 and I agree with that failure. I've had one 9 and it was the best evening ever!
    We should get together this week!
    Our Fairy Tale

    ReplyDelete