Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter Sunday

This last Sunday was very special. I love my calling as primary teacher! My group of kids are such huge examples to me and they teach me so much without even knowing it. They are so smart and add a lot to my lessons. During sharing and singing time they sing with their hearts and very loudly. Not to be obnoxious, they feel the spirit and just let it flow through them. I see them close their eyes and belt out the hymns. Warms my heart how much they love this gospel and Jesus Christ.
My lesson this week was on the first missionaries. A subject very near and dear to my heart, being a convert. The kids can be hard to get focused and stay that way so somedays I feel like they just don't hear anything I'm saying. Well, to my surprise they do in fact listen, even when they don't show that they do. I shared with them a personal story from after I was baptized...

I had just gotten my wisdom tooth pulled so I looked like a squirrel with bloody gauze coming from my mouth. I could barely speak let alone move my jaw. I was going into a store to get my prescription filled when I saw a man outside the doors. I remember him looking lonely, dirty and tired but still had a smile on his face and was trying to talk to people. I don't think he was asking for money but he was trying to share some sort of information with them. I was in a rush to just get in and out without having to talk to anyone and hopefully not see anyone I knew so I didn't take the time to see what this man was  doing. While standing in line I was thinking I should share my testimony with this man. Then I thought there was no way because I looked a fright and my mouth had just taken an enormous beating. As I was leaving the store I walked by him again and my heart started pounding. It was so hard I felt it in my ears. I remembered that I had some Books Of Mormon in the trunk of my car so I pulled one out and wrote my testimony in it. I walked it back to the man and he was genuinely happy and so sweet as I approached him. (Probably just happy someone was giving him their time).  Not having any game plan on what I was about to do or say, I gave him the book and tried as hard as I could to clearly tell him I knew this book could change his life as it did mine. He looked at me with teary eyes and started asking me questions about it. He sounded so sincere in his questions, like he really wanted to understand. For the few minutes I spent with him, answering his questions, sharing my testimony, flipping through the book with him I had forgotten about my swollen cheeks and major headache. I was just happy to be there with him in that moment. He told me how grateful he was and said he couldn't wait to get home and read it. As I drove away he waved and smiled at me and I saw him flipping through the pages with a giant smile on his face.
I wish I could say I know what happened to that man after I left him that day but I don't. I can only hope he read it, believed it, and let it change his life for the better. Maybe the missionaries found him. Maybe I was that first stepping stone for him to a new direction. All I know is that he was grateful I gave him the time, that he knew I cared about him and that I left him smiling and thirsty to know more.

During sharing time one of the leaders gave the whole class the opportunity to go up one by one and tell us one reason they know that Heavenly Father loves them. Their answers were not ones I would have expected from children their age. "I know Heavenly Father loves me because He sent His son to die for me. " "I know Heavenly Father loves me because He put me in great hands when I broke my arm and made the pain bearable." "I know Heavenly Father loves me because He has given us a way to go back and live with Him again." One of my kids turned to me and said, "You should share that story you told us in class and how Heavenly Father loves that man." Heart officially melted right then and there. They do listen!


I know that if we aren't quick to judge others, without knowing their circumstances and give them the time, treat them like the child of God they are and love them, it can change their life. Who knows for how long but you may never know if you don't try. You could be their new beginning or even the final 'sign' they were waiting for. We don't have to be on an official mission or in a distant land to serve our Heavenly Father and help Him to spread the gospel. Testimonies don't have to be complicated to be touching. I know that if we follow the teachings we are given, let our light shine and live the way we are asked while sharing our testimonies, that that is the best way to serve our Heavenly Father. You are being an example and people WILL notice. Even those you wouldn't expect. People watch and listen and they will be curious. Missionary work is a domino effect. You share with one, then they share with another and it just continues from there. Like Samuel Smith. He was rejected when trying to share the Book Of Mormon with a man but he followed the spirit and gave the book to the man's wife. That family was later converted and shared the gospel with more family and they were converted and so on and so forth. It happens and you could be the one to tip the scale. It could not only change someone else's life, but your own. I'll never forget how I felt that day sharing what I know to be true with him. I felt a sense of accomplishment, a happiness and fulfillment  in my heart. I know I left that man in good hands and that our Heavenly Father is taking good care of him.

On a side note: Here is what my family was up to this Easter! We took Haddie to the park and she tried the swings for the first time and she loved them!  Easter came and went super fast this year. I still can't believe we are already in April! This time last year I was already 2 months pregnant and now in just a day my little babe will be 6 months old!!

In my family, we would always wake up to Easter baskets at the foot of our beds, hunt for eggs, re-hide them and hunt again, and have a big, delicious dinner. Last year I tried to re-live my childhood and I made a basket for Emmett. I had hide it from him in our tiny apt the day before and then put it out after I knew he was fast asleep. I was surprised to learn he never got baskets growing up! 

Well now we have our own little girl we get to start fun traditions with. Unfortunately we did not make her a basket this year but my mom sent her one with some cute outfits, a couple little toys and lots of candy for Emmett and I :) I'm way excited about playing Santa, the Easter Bunny etc and start some traditions Haddie will look back on  and maybe even continue when it's her turn to be a mommy. (YEARS from now of course!!)






A tree climber like her mamma!


Uncle Aaron may not have liked Auntie Andrea's no bake cookies but Hads sure did.





No comments:

Post a Comment